Wonderful folded steel, hand-forged KATANA : The Murasame 2 has a nickelplated Habaki. The Menuki is nickelplated.
* Sugata (Blade style):
o Hand-forged curved blade with a Bohi (groove) and Chu-Kissaki (tip). Folded steel (45C & C55Si7). 13 times folded to achieve ca. 8192 layers traditional clay-wrapping technique for differential hardening. There are beautiful hada (grain in steel, pattern of folding the steel) in the blade. The hardness of its Mune is ca 43° and the Ha (blade edge) is ca 60° HRC Rockwell. The blade spine is iori-mune, the edge is without Niku. (cutting sharp blade). The blue colour of the blade is the colour of the steel, which is achieved by a special technique. It is not a surface-coating which might reduce the sharpness of the edge. The colouring results in better visuall effects of the folded steel pattern as well as the hamon line and different hardening areas. The hada can be easily seen.
+ Nagasa (blade length): 28 inch.
+ Sori (curvature): ca. 1 inch.
+ Moto-Kasane (Thickness): ca. 5/16 inch.
+ Saki-Haba : 24 mm.
+ Moto-Haba: 32 mm.
+ Balance point (measured from Habaki): ca. 11 cm
o Nakago (tongue) with Mei (inscription) according to the tradition: WKC - 2005
* Kashira (Cap):
o Beautifully carved. Carbon steel (C45). Nickelplated. Tsuka (Grip):
* Wood grip, adapted to the tongue. Length: 12 inch / 30,5 cm.
Tsuka-ito (handle wrap):
* Pure blue silk. Tight.
* Real white ray skin.
* Brass, hand-polised, Nickelplated. One each side, traditional mounting of Menuki.
* Nickelplated. Made in 1 piece.
* Bamboo wood, based upon the traditional method to seat the pins. The 2 mekugi-ana are drilled diagonal and conical into the tongue. The mekugi are fitted from opposite side.
* Carbon steel (C45), hand polished. Hand Lacquered, motive is nickelplated.
* Selected white wood. Black lacquered. Curved according to the Sori. The Koi-guchi (mouth piece) is made of buffalo horn. Saya with kurikata and 2 shitodome to hold the Obi.
* Blue (cord used for tying the Saya to the Obi - knob on the Saya).
* 1 170 gr. without Saya.
* 1 230 gr. with Saya.
* Protective cloth bag with nice colourfull emboirdery.